Saturday, April 24, 2010

Siren by Tricia Rayburn

Title: Siren
Author: Tricia Rayburn
Pages: 352
Publisher: EgmontUSA
Publication Date: July 13, 2010

Seventeen-year-old Vanessa Sands is afraid of everything—the dark, heights, the ocean—but her fearless older sister, Justine, has always been there to coach her through every challenge. That is, until Justine goes cliff-diving one night near the family’s vacation house in Maine, and her lifeless body washes up on shore the next day.

Though her parents hope that they’ll be able to find closure back in Boston, Vanessa can’t help feeling that her sister’s death wasn’t an accident. After discovering that Justine was keeping a lot of secrets, Vanessa returns to Winter Harbor, hoping that Justine’s boyfriend might know more. But Caleb has been missing since Justine’s death.

Soon, it’s not just Vanessa who’s afraid. All of Winter Harbor is abuzz with anxiety when another body washes ashore, and panic sets in when the small town becomes host to a string of fatal, water-related accidents in which all the victims are found, horrifically, grinning from ear to ear.

Vanessa turns to Caleb’s brother, Simon, for help, and begins to find herself drawn to him. As the pair try to understand the sudden rash of creepy drownings, Vanessa uncovers a secret that threatens her new romance—and will change her life forever.
Always living on the edge, Justine is the complete polar-opposite of Vanessa. While Justine is adventurous, outgoing, and spontaneous, Vanessa is shy, practical, and afraid. When Justine dies cliff-diving, she tries to figure out what happened that unfortunate night with the help of Simon. Little does she know that her sister--and Winter Harbor--hold many fearful secrets that can endanger everybody's life. Will facing her fear be enough to save Winter Harbor? Or will she stay hiding in fear? She has to decide. Her decision will affect all of Winter Harbor...including Simon.

Siren is a bittersweet, dangerous, magical read that will never cease to surprise; much like the sea itself. In Siren, the bond between the Vanessa and Justine is strong, but both have insecurities that affect their perception of themselves and each other. The mystical and enigmatic elements, linked with the romance in Siren, creates a very intense, yet effortless atmosphere that flows throughout the novel.

Vanessa is a compelling and complicated three-dimensional protagonist that is pulled out of her shell once her sister dies. The two sisters; Justine and Vanessa, are a study of contrasts that completely fit together. Even when they are so different, their connection is seemingly unbreakable. After Justine's death, Vanessa copes with her grief through her shared connection with Simon. The romance aspect of Siren doesn't overpower the mystery and sense of urgency in Siren, but rather, it develops slowly as the plot unravels itself and as Simon and Vanessa make sense of their feelings for each other.

The emotional turmoil in Siren is portrayed continuously through Siren's progression. Grief, death, and insecurity are all very visible themes in the novel and the concept of fear is greatly emphasized with every secret, and every anomaly that is revealed. Vanessa's choices and decisions impact not only her, but everyone else. And she has to overcome her fear in hopes of discovering the deep, dark, and unimaginable secrets that her sister left in her wake.

In the midst of searching for answers, Vanessa is able to meet new people and make friends like Paige. Paige doesn't know about Justine and doesn't judge Vanessa right away, and this provides her with a relief from all of the grief and anxiety that she has to deal with. Paige is a supportive character and a real friend to Vanessa. She plays a big part in a secret that even she is unaware of.

Rayburn not only keeps readers on the edge with Siren, but she evokes so much emotion through her words, keeping Siren perfectly balanced. Its build up of suspense and mystery will explode into a fusion of an electrifying and breathtaking climax that will unequivocally satisfy the readers' craving for a beautiful yet simple ending. A+ =)

The Bottom Line: Siren gives a simple, beautiful message with the infusion of mystery, and a paranormal touch.

---Field Report---
Originality: 10/10
Ending: 10/10
Characters: 10/10
Plot: 10/10
My reaction/enjoyment: 10/10
Theme: 10/10
Imagery: 10/10
Setting: 5/5
Voice: 5/5
Style: 5/5
Tone: 5/5
Cover: 10/10

Total Score: 100/100 (A+) !!!This is one of the TEN books that hold the title: The Holy Grail - Beholder of the Perfect 100!!!

51 comments:

Unknown April 24, 2010 at 8:58 PM  

WOW - I think I MUST pick this one up and SOON! :) (Or as soon as it comes out that is!) AMAZING review!

j April 24, 2010 at 9:00 PM  

Glad to hear this is so good! The cover and the premise are just so intriguing. Great revine Reg!

Maria April 24, 2010 at 9:13 PM  

Can't wait for Siren to come out, you're so lucky to have read it already :D Anyway, awesome review!

Anne April 24, 2010 at 10:36 PM  

That sounds like such an amazing book! The plot sounds super fun and the cover is beautiful. (Although the name does seem to give away what happens)
Anyways. I can't wait until it comes out!

Jason April 24, 2010 at 10:58 PM  

Wow! 100/100! Sounds like a winner for sure!

Tere1494 April 24, 2010 at 11:01 PM  

The summary is great, I googled it and is a great story.

And you also gave it a perfect score. Definitely something that I have to read

Sab H. April 24, 2010 at 11:04 PM  

I SO loved this one too. It really surprised me because I was expecting another paranormal dullness LOL. I loved Caleb! :P

Alex Bennett from Electrifying Reviews April 24, 2010 at 11:06 PM  

You don't know how much I want to read this book! You make it sound even more amazing!

Shy April 24, 2010 at 11:49 PM  

Amazing [Period] And the way you describe what you love about this book make it even more irresistible!

Unknown April 25, 2010 at 12:28 AM  

This book sounds Amazing!! I'm very interested, I'll definately buy this one if I don't win it.
Thanks for the awesome review.

The Library Lurker April 25, 2010 at 12:42 AM  

Yay! I'm so happy that this book is so good! I've seen the cover around, but yours is the first review that I've seen. Great review! All of your Holy Grail books that I've read deserve the title in my opinion, so I think that I can trust that this one does too :D

Lale April 25, 2010 at 12:57 AM  

I've read a couple of a good reviews of this now, and I want to read it so badly! Bet the UK release date's in aaages, though. >.<

Elizabeth Briggs April 25, 2010 at 1:21 AM  

Never heard of this one before but it sounds good. I love a great mystery.

Unknown April 25, 2010 at 1:57 AM  

Awesome review! I have been wanting to read this.

reedinglover April 25, 2010 at 4:03 AM  

Your review makes me want to read this book sooo much more! Very exciting :)

Brianna Bruce April 25, 2010 at 4:25 AM  

Great review! I have to read it now, since you gave it such a positive rating.

Karla April 25, 2010 at 4:30 AM  

I really want to read this book, and now that it got 100/100 I want to read it even more! Great review. The cover is beautiful!

Anonymous,  April 25, 2010 at 4:35 AM  

Another for my tbr pile! Sounds great. Thanks for posting it. I love the cover too. It's gorgeous!

brenda

Lisa Richards/alterlisa April 25, 2010 at 5:04 AM  

Can't wait to read this and it's sequel. Love the cover. Sounds so amazing. I love a suspense and mystery.

alterlisa AT yahoo DOT com
http://lisaslovesbooksofcourse.blogspot.com/

misskallie2000 April 25, 2010 at 6:33 AM  

WOW!! I have got to read Siren. This is going to be one terrific book.
Thanks for the great review.

misskalllie2000 at yahoo dot com

skyla11377 April 25, 2010 at 6:38 AM  

Wow, That Sounds Like A Really Good Book. I Like A Good Suspense Book. Thanks For The Review And For Bringing This Book To My Attention. This Book Is Going On My To Be read Pile.

Jenni @ Falling Off The Shelf April 25, 2010 at 6:51 AM  

I love the cover of this one, and it sounds soooo good!

Brent Taylor April 25, 2010 at 8:18 AM  

Oooooh, I'm getting an ARC of this one too--can't wait to read it!

marian April 25, 2010 at 8:19 AM  

oh! i totally want to read this one! sounds very interesting and great review!

Aik April 25, 2010 at 10:17 AM  

Thanks for your review! I'm looking forward to read this book!

bookaholic April 25, 2010 at 11:19 AM  

100/100.That's terrific!Sounds like a winner!I like the fact that you found the book perfectly balanced with the right blend of magic,mystery and emotions.

donnas April 25, 2010 at 12:07 PM  

Great review. It sounds like a really interesting book, looking forward to it. Thanks for sharing.

Rheanna April 25, 2010 at 1:03 PM  

Wow this sounds like an amazing book shrouded in mystery. Ya gotta love that. Your review makes me wanna run out and pick this one up right now!

Alice April 25, 2010 at 3:15 PM  

sounds great! i really want to read this (:

Dwayne April 25, 2010 at 7:55 PM  

Wow - I love your beholders and this sounds terribly electrifying. Yep, will definitely read this one come summer! :D

ally April 26, 2010 at 7:02 AM  

WOW... i can't wait to read it! You make it sound SOOO good!

Michelle Santiago April 26, 2010 at 10:20 AM  

another great, well-thought out review reggie! i really want to read this book after reading your review. thanks!

designbybrenda April 26, 2010 at 12:56 PM  

Incredible review... makes me want to read this book next! :) Your writing skills are really superb!

Bookish in a Box April 27, 2010 at 2:53 AM  

Wow! A 100/100? Really?! I need to pick this up immediately. It sounds fantastic!

Little Miss Becky :) April 27, 2010 at 5:31 AM  

I was already dying to read this book...after reading your review, I'm even more impatient for it to come out!! JULY, HURRY UP!!

Lena1xoxo April 27, 2010 at 10:37 PM  

I want to read this so bad. I mean, 100? Seriously? Wow. Must be awesome!

Alex Bennett from Electrifying Reviews April 28, 2010 at 5:46 AM  

I am on a tour for this one and so cannot wait for it!

Jessy April 28, 2010 at 11:11 PM  

The book sounds awesome! It was graced with such a beautiful cover as well. Thanks for the great review.

Mary not so Contrary April 29, 2010 at 12:54 AM  

I haven't read this book yet but it sounds like Vanessa is stornger then she think. I would be a mess if my sister died! Thanks for the great review. This book is going to be a must read for me.

Mandy April 29, 2010 at 4:38 AM  

Wow, this book sounds soo good, your review got me all excited :D

Elise May 4, 2010 at 7:21 AM  

Great review. I think its interesting that Vannessa will come out of her shell and try to find out the truth behind her sisters death. That's love.
caliblue7@gmail.com

Heather May 6, 2010 at 12:36 AM  

Great review, the book sounds amazing. Can't wait to get my hands on it :)

Marg @ Clockwork Reverie May 6, 2010 at 1:32 AM  

Thanks for the review. It gave further insight into the book without spoiling any plot details. I especially like the "field report" feature you add at the end.

Anonymous,  May 9, 2010 at 10:07 AM  

"bittersweet, dangerous and magical" Say no more. I'm on board. I love the "concept of fear" keeps the readers on edge but there is still a beautiful message. Great review and adding this to my TBR list now :)
Yesenia, Silly Little Game Called Life

Jessie Clark May 11, 2010 at 6:17 AM  

Love the review. I wouldn't have thought of Siren as a mystery from the book description. You've got me curious now.

Malbebe May 12, 2010 at 3:01 AM  

I Love this review, you make me want to go out and by the book right now! I like how its in depth but doesn't give anything away. Plus who doesn't want to read a book with mysteries and all that.

Anonymous,  May 15, 2010 at 4:12 AM  

Woah, A+ rating. I must read this soon! I've heard of it, but didn't think it was THAT good. Now I realize that it definitely seems to be worth reading.

Ashley May 18, 2010 at 5:54 AM  

WOW a 100 rating?! I MUST read this one. Thanks for writing about it, I had never heard about it before but it sounds fantastic.

Anya June 18, 2010 at 1:15 AM  

WOW what a GREAT review!! I can't wait to read this one. All your A+ ratings are AWESOME! I'm really very excited for Siren! Awesome review:)

Chelle June 18, 2010 at 1:29 AM  

I like suspenseful books. I wouldn't have pegged Siren as a murder mystery type. Nice review!

Unknown July 26, 2010 at 9:12 AM  

This helped ALOT!cant wait to read it now!

Post a Comment

Comments are ALWAYS appreciated! Thanks for taking the time to comment!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

All content © Reggie Cruz from The Undercover Book Lover 2009-2014 |   © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP